Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Ugly Day Turns Better on Pretty Pink Bike

The day started out bad. A fear of not completing things [budget, bills, work, more writing, unpacking after vacation] covered me like a blanket---one of those heavy blankets they put over you at the dentist for X-ray time. The inertia [a frozen fear I could not get out from under] was followed, when I finally got out of bed, by a very unhealthy sugar rush. I wanted to make my Irish oatmeal but realized in the kitchen that I'd left it up in Maine at my sister-in-law's cabin by the lake. It was after 12 already. So I ate Late July Organic Dark Chocolate Sandwich Cookies, Mini Nilla Wafers and some of the lemon yogurt loaf cake I had frozen. There it is. My bad.

If you've ever overdone it on refined sugar, you know this was actually anything but a rush. It was a major crash. Lose-lose.

But I managed to turn it around, to throw off the blanket, to wash my face and floss my teeth and join the world, the people going about their business under the brilliant blue sky. I knew that what Moey said in the past is true: When you start doing things, you feel better.

Luckily, I had made a 2 P.M. hair appointment in town. I hopped on my pink bike at 1:50 P.M. and didn't bike back home til after 7. Went on two wheels to salon; bike shop; appointment with H.; restaurant; and grocery store. Such a beautiful day. And I love my bike.

Roses for the Montclair Bikery, where I popped in to get my seat raised and the helpful, friendly young man, Ben, and his equally nice co-worker also raised my handlebars; attached my water bottle holder; fixed my brakes; adjusted my gears; and cleaned my fenders. Would you believe just $20? I gave a $10 tip. They did so much.

And daisies for Upstairs, a new restaurant on Valley Road in Montclair. [It's above Dai-Kichi Japanese restaurant at 608 Valley Road, and owned by the same fellow.] H. and I splurged. I had a glass of Pinot Grigio from Northeast Italy [thinking of Dad's northern Italian roots], gnocchi stuffed with house-made ricotta [yum] and best of all, seared sea scallops with creamed corn and crispy leeks. The corn was roasted first and spooned on the plate. It was kind of rough-hewn, not gummy and white cafeteria-style creamed corn. I scooped up every kernel. I know it's a carb, not a big helping of greens, but I still feel farm-girl healthy for having cleaned my plate.

Good night.

TCOY
  1. Bike riding, with groceries in backpack.
  2. Salon blowout.
  3. Private Benjamin with H.
  4. No dessert at restaurant; my friend Anne said recently that when you bike more, you tend to make healthier food choices.
  5. Stopped at grocery store on way back. That was a first, biking after a glass of wine. But wanted to be sure I had healthy foods for tomorrow--Irish oatmeal; whole-wheat bread; crunchy peanut butter; turkey burgers; graham crackers. Mission accomplished. Now ready for a productive day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment