|The clothes at Speakeasy Vintage took me back to Lucy's rich wardrobe.|
We were buzzed in. From the moment we entered, Johnny, the owner [he owns it with his brother] was engaging, kind and wonderful. He was dressed in hip vintage wear, right down to the gold mesh band on his wristwatch. Figgy and I loved the place. It was like a cross between a fashion museum and a store. Among favorite sightings:
- Lulu Guinness tote in mint condition, $99.
- Beaded cashmere cardigans, absolutely stunning.
- Jet black jewelry--I bought a pair of clip-on earrings priced at $22. You get 10% off when you drop in the first time, so I saved $2.20.
- A gorgeous black dress with pleated skirt and satin bow at waist, totally Audrey Hepburn, $200. It would look so great on Figgy.
- Authentic flapper dress, traveling case, hats, silver shoes, even vintage swimming costumes, one in itchy wool, one lady's set with pantaloons. God, look what they swam in! All in impeccable condition. So rich, so Mad Men, so Audrey, so Lucy Ricardo.
In the afternoon, we drove into Little Italy with Moey and Laura for the annual San Gennaro Festival on Mulberry Street*. I've long seen those red, white and green tinsel arches over the street, but don't think I've ever gone to the feast. We drove a while to find a spot; finally paid $34 for two hours in a garage. Then we joined the throng of pedestrians, flowing past stands selling sausage and peppers; fried Oreos and Twinkies; zeppole; calamari; cannolis of every stripe; gelato; homemade wine; meatballs; lasagna; pizza pie; calzones; fruity cocktails; torrone; and rainbow cookies--oh, and we also saw the statue of San Gennaro, patron saint of Naples. What a colorful place. It made me think of my grandma, and my Dad--though I don't know if they ever went to the feast. One of many things I didn't have a chance to ask Dad. Since it's been going on for 85 years, maybe they did.
I bought H. six pignoli cookies--his favorite--at Ferrara. It was a fun day.
- Wheat roll and some veggies.
- Walked at San Gennaro Feast--but not that far, and surely cancelled out by lunch portion of fettuccine alfredo and three zeppole.
- Walked Sug around block once.