Search This Blog

Monday, September 26, 2011

Little Green Diary: I Saw You Dancin' in the Gym

Ice skater Dorothy Hamill and her perfect swingy 1970s wedge haircut.
Lyrics to a favorite song of mine, "American Pie" by Don McLean:

Well, I know that you’re in love with him
`cause I saw you dancin’ in the gym.
You both kicked off your shoes.
Man, I dig those rhythm and blues.


September 26, 1975 [age 14]: Went to the pep rally dance. It was good. Our basement flooded after 4 days of rain.

Now, flash-forward 36 years: I can still remember the poignancy of high school. The dances in the gym at Dumont High or St. Mary's. How I wished to be one of the girls dancing with a boy. [I sometimes was, but not with a steady boyfriend.] Or being kissed in the hall, by her locker. Maybe like Adrienne, a girl I knew, with her adorable petite figure and shiny, cute Dorothy Hamill haircut. But maybe my 14-year-old self, in the brown hand-me-down jeans from my brother Will, felt the joy over the wanting. Like I said, the dance was good! 

Good night. 

TCOY 
  1. Boot camp in the park.
  2. Walked Sug around block once and on Bradford loop once.
  3. Gardened a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment