Search This Blog

Friday, November 11, 2011

Beauty Watch & Style Sightings

Rainy day here in Watch Hill--pouring rain part of the time. But H. and I took a nice long walk on the beach, under the shelter of the big blue Ocean House umbrella the hotel provided. At first it was just drizzling, but then the drops came fast and almost furious. I took my shoes off and rolled up my jeans, to walk in the sand and feel the saltwater.

Top 6 Hit List
  1. Lobster Mac & Cheese [$26] at Ocean House Bistro last night. It's one of the signature dishes, along with Meat Loaf Wrapped in Bacon and Hereford Beef Burger. I didn't get to wax poetic about what was possibly the best thing I have ever eaten in my life. Presented in a small, rustic orange casserole dish, it was made with truffle, Parmesan and pancetta, topped with breadcrumbs and studded with big, buttery pieces of tender lobster meat. Absolutely divine.
  2. Old stone walls and posts. I loved those when Fig and I were here for a day in June, too. They're all around the houses, and on the poles surrounding the Flying Horse Carousel, dating to the 1800s. So beautiful and historic. You can't look at the stonework without wondering what men [or women?] made it with precision and pride. And what were their lives like, those stone masons? Their families? Did they live humbly and simply?
  3. The deserted waterfront village.  All the shops are closed, except for a couple of real estate offices. Fig and H. went to the gym, the pool, etc., and I walked in the drizzle for a short while. I like the history of it all--if you breathe in, you can imagine all the fun people have had here for decades. A note on the deli window said Thanks for your support! See you in April 2012! and taped to the door of a women's clothing shop, Call us if you need anything and we'll be happy to open the shop! A couple of the stores will be open Thanksgiving weekend.
  4. Expanded ice cream vocabulary. Peeked in at the also closed St. Clair Annex, the ice cream place on Bay Street, and again saw a Dusty sundae on the board, right up there with Hot Fudge. Must get to the bottom of what that means. Also on board: Cabinet. I have a feeling that's some big ice cream serving or shake, but am going to google. Yep, a cabinet is a regional name for a milkshake and I think a Dusty sundae is made with malted milk powder? Pls. tell me if you know!
  5. The Ocean House Home boutique in the lobby. Again they have Tory Burch!!! So stylish, but not on sale, so I resisted. They also have cashmere scarves and wraps and beautiful estate jewelry, including that gold charm bracelet priced @ $2,800. The many dainty charms include a sailboat; a baby shoe; a horse; and a birdhouse.
  6. Thimbles of cheese and Thumbelina carrots.  Not only did Fig get oatmeal brûlée with fresh figs on top for breakfast. For her dinner appetizer, she chose Native Field Greens and Head Lettuces, served with Shy Brothers Farm Hannahbells, adorable [and delicious, Fig said] tangy cheese thimbles. Turns out you can even order them online from the farm.
Well, I'd better sleep. Good night.

TCOY
  1. Beach walk.
  2. Walk down onto Bay Street and uphill on way back.

    2 comments:

    1. Sounds great – even in the rain. You and family deserve such treats. Say hi to all. Love, Linny (Wow. Lobster mac and cheese sounds like the best thing that I never ate. Maybe you will obtain the recipe some day and share it, but it's probably some guarded secret.)

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hi Lin. It was so good. I mean it. I once had a pretender to the throne over the summer and it was hugely disappointing--and I hadn't even tried this one yet. hope all is well. love al
      p.s. pretty sunny day today. we're going home this afternoon. Sis and Don are watching Sug for us!

      ReplyDelete