Search This Blog

Friday, February 24, 2012

Want to Recline and Read by the Fire

Cheery cherries.
There's a recliner in front of the fireplace. And a big-screen TV. They're calling me. I want to put my feet up and watch something. I might even sleep on the couch tonight, by the fire. Edward, from the front desk, brought me an extra blanket.

But first, my favorite Door County stops today [and we did more than this]:
  • Cherry picking. A big coffee-cup sign outside advertises the drive-through espresso bar, open all year at the Door County Coffee & Tea Co. on Highway 42 in Sturgeon Bay. Inside, you can get juiced over so many charming cherry things, since Door County is the land of cherry orchards. Cupcakes iced in pink, with cute dangling cherries on top, fashioned from sour cherry balls; the Chocolate Covered Cherry, a double espresso drink with cherry syrup [I didn't love it, but I love the name]; cherry bread pudding. I bought Figgy a cute cherry-red purse and Punch a little cherry-strewn apron. On tour, Vicki Wilson and roastmaster LouAnn DePrez used words that showed their coffee fire, reminding me of the fragrance sniffing/shopping immersions I've done in NYC with Sis, where experts lob terms like top note, finish and nose. Vicki and LouAnn used words like shiny, gorgeous and fresh [for beans], light and crisp [for taste]. Flavor names, dreamed up by  LouAnn, are tempting: Cinnamon Sugar Biscotti; Highlander Grogg; Cherry Creme; Chocolate Cherry; and many more. 
  • Cheese farmers in the dell. I'm busy sipping Riesling and eating cheeses, I told H. when I phoned home before noon. As it should be, he said. I texted Sis, too. You're an early winer, she typed back. We were at Schoolhouse Artisan Cheese in Egg Harbor for a cheese flight of four small plates. Quite fabulous. My favorites: Mobay from Carr Valley  [white goat cheese and pale butter-yellow sheep's milk cheese in one wheel, divided by a thin layer of grapevine ash] and mission figs stuffed with blue cheese and encrusted with pistachios [reminded me of the chocolate blue cheese truffle in Vermont]. Peter Kordon said that while most customers buy cheeses to eat as they are, I can also tell you the best ones for beer cheese soup, cheese fondue and grilled cheese sandwiches. So I bought 4 ounces [cost: $4.76] of Big Ed's, "with a buttery body," from Saxon Homestead Creamery. Peter said it's excellent on a burger or melted between bread. My little wedge is heading home.
  • Serenity Massage in the Holy Hut. I got my private afternoon massage in this tiny, cozy cottage at The Spa at Sacred Grounds in Ephraim. Thank you, Jeanne. It was 90 minutes, kicked off with a 30-minute scalp massage with warm coconut oil. My thoughts drifted to all sorts of things and places--I think I was on a hilly road at one point, driving up and down the rises. My hair feels soft now [but I definitely had to shampoo right after].
  • The good doctor. I saw old black and white photos of  Dr. Sebald Fichtner [1863-1930] in the lobby of the Country House Resort. In 1907, he built this place on a former farm and eventually welcomed patients here, for a rest cure, I heard [from Edward]. Sounds fitting. We're high on a bluff above the bay. You can hear birds. There's a photo of Sebald and his wife, Teresa, and eight kids. The oldest boy is holding a fishing basket. Teresa must not have gotten much rest with all of those kids.
  • Fish on the fire. Loved the Fish Boil at the White Gull Inn, a beautiful Fish Creek inn like the ones H. and I stayed at in Cape May and Kennebunkport back when we had more of a B&B budget. [We got engaged at one.] I was skeptical; boiled whitefish sounds weird, but as the boilmaster, Mark, told the crowd of more than 50, If you don't like the sound of boiled fish, consider it poached. This is Wisconsin's answer to the classic Maine lobster bake. It was great standing by the fire, where Mark cooked the local fish and red potatoes. On the table, small teapots of fine melted dairy butter to pour on top. Later: Very good hot chocolate, homespun cherry pie. Bought a bag of the inn's granola to take home. Hope I can fit all this stuff in my carry-on. Joked with another writer, Troy, that I might have to throw out the old pair of boots I brought to make room--Troy said he's sometimes worn three layers of clothing so he could take goodies home in his carry-on.
 TCOY
  1. Bubble bath.
  2. Drank a lot of nice cold Wisconsin water.
  3. The massage, yay!!!!!!!!!
  4. About to recline in chair and relax. We get whisked off again at 7:45 A.M. tomorrow.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment