Search This Blog

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Dadless

A year ago, I was in the I.C.U. with Dad the night before he died. This year has gone so fast. And it's been so hard. The challenges, they keep coming, and I miss having Dad to talk with about them. I miss his unselfishness [Here, Al, take a piece]. His sharing. His good heart. His laughter. His confidence in me. His sharp memory. He didn't travel much in his life, but his memory was a suitcase packed with colorful stories, dialogue included. At age 87, almost 88, he could always make me laugh by recalling exact funny things said by his mother; my mother's cousin's husband, Bob [who was very smart]; his brothers; my brothers; Sis; his father and father-in-law; and Granny.

Good night.

TCOY
  1. H. and I picked out a pretty fabric. We're finally getting our living room chair reupholstered. It's big, comfy, and currently shabby. We bought it with the paycheck for the first short story I sold, to Good Housekeeping, when we were newlyweds. Eight years later, the chair was recovered in Waverly fabric when Good Housekeeping redid our living room for a decorating story. Figgy and her friend Christy always sat together on that chair to watch SpongeBob, Zoey 101 and [when I forced them], old Gidget episodes from the 1960s. [I bought the DVD.]
  2. Going to sleep.

3 comments:

  1. Good morning, Alice. I am thinking of you… the one-year anniversary of your dad, all that has happened since, your current trials. Doesn’t seem fair. Love, Lin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you. Anniversaries are very hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lin. Hi Nan. thank you for your supportive notes. love, alice

    ReplyDelete