Search This Blog

Friday, June 29, 2012

Doctor, Doctor, Give Me the News

Two appointments back to back on Upper East Side. First, H., Fig and me with a wise doctor who has helped us a lot, and then me alone with Dr. B., for my medical checkup. One on 86th Street, the next on 85th.

Dr. B. is kind and smart and always wants me to do better. I haven't weighed myself since I was there in March, so was happy that I was down 3.5 pounds [wondered if some of that had to do with sweating in the heat today, no A.C. on the ride in]. But Dr. B., you know, wants me to lose like 10 percent of my body weight. Which of course I know I should.

Headed back to walk to the Port Authority, but wearing wedge heels in the heat, couldn't make the whole long way. Was stumbling on cobblestones near Central Park....had rushed out of house and didn't brush my hair or bring my sneakers. Hopped on the Q train for the last leg of the journey. But my walk allowed for plenty of browsing time on Madison Avenue: Dean & DeLuca, Vosges Haut-Chocolat, Lilly Pulitzer [they even do birthday parties there now] and...

La Maison du Chocolat. I bought a little tube of dark chocolate cookies called sables. I want to make them at home. La Maison has a luxe, deep, dark cookbook--I don't own it, not yet--and I might be able to find a recipe. The cookies are petite and perfect for chocolate cravings. Just bought the book on Amazon for $22 counting shipping. Will report back. A little serving of something exquisite sounds like good moderation to me. The gorgeous black woman at the register, who is from France, also taught me how to say the word properly in French. I thought it rhymed with stable. It doesn't. ;)

Must rest. Good night.

TCOY
  1. Kept both of those doctor's appointments. It's hard to face the music, and the doctor's scale, so I'm proud when I do.
  2. Sushi for dinner.
  3. Walked 40 minutes plus in NYC, then walked Sug around block once.


4 comments:

  1. Facing the music, so hard and so necessary. Good for you to keep it up.

    I love the story of your walks in NYC - we're thinking of a visit this summer and just walking like that is high on my list of things to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nan...thanks.....i hope you get to NYC soon..am about to scoot over and check your blog now. alice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing great! Think of all the good things you've been doing for your fitness. Your boot camp sounds so awesome, and always remember -- muscle weighs more than fat, so you almost certainly have gained muscle, which equals improved health, strength, endurance, etc. That will power you through your next 3.5 lost pounds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Eileen. how are you? thank you for the encouraging note.....i hope you're having a fun summer so far.....love alice

    ReplyDelete