Search This Blog

Monday, June 18, 2012

Love & Hate by the Sea

I love the Cape...today, we mowed the lawn, then went to the Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary, where the volunteer naturalists along the trails let us look through binoculars at a green heron and pointed out the calls of certain birds. It was so lovely...so removed from ordinary life. The Audubon is quiet and peaceful. A long, tall drink for the psyche.

We also went back to Nauset Beach, where we saw a seal's sleek black head bobbing in the waves. We shopped in Chatham, at In the Pink and The Candy Manor and some nice store where Anne and Nikki each got a pair of Toms shoes ["With every pair you purchase, Toms will give a pair of new shoes to a child in need."] Stopped @ the Cottage Street Bakery in Orleans, where I bought a frozen chicken pie for just over $20 to take home to NJ. We popped into the Sparrow for our favorite coffees and pressed sandwiches. And then tonight, Nikki and I went over to Nauset Light Beach with Sug, walked up to the great red and white lighthouse and marveled at it. Nik said it seemed haunted, but I assured her it isn't.

I'm tired. Have been up till 1 A.M. the last two nights, reading Fifty Shades of Grey. I won't lie, it's gripping, and I haven't even gotten to the racy part yet.

The hate part of this post: I hate being overweight. But you know as well as I do that I am one big paradox, devil vs. angel, chips vs. carrots, dip vs. hummus. It's just rough...many things converge on vacations....it's like you're faced with donuts and fudge and fried clams, and also with your summer shorts...and your feelings, your goals, your hopes, your misses....your eroding self-image, eroding like the Cape's sandy cliffs by the sea...

Good night. Have to rest b/c tomorrow we clean the house before we go. Until next time, Sug and I signing off @ Cape Cod.[She is curled up on the seat next to me as I blog in Anne's car @ the Ben & Jerry's parking lot.]

TCOY
Wallking Sug, walking on beach, walking @ Audubon--and writing down love/hate feelings. It helps to face them. Also, about to go floss teeth and take another nice hot bath.

4 comments:

  1. Alice, next time you go, it would be great to see pictures of the house that I hear so much about in your posts (now that you are good at posting photos :). It would be fun to see how close I am in imagining how it looks. Have a safe trip home. Love, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lin. It is a very simple house. Plain, but special to me. I need to get a digital camera so that I can take my own photos. i hope to sometime soon. love, al

    ReplyDelete
  3. I imagine it a cottage, maybe slate blue or gray with contrasting white painted trim. Colorful wildflowers grow on either side of the front door. The back yard is a beach :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Lin, that is a bit more picturesque than it is, but that is your artist's eye....it is a white ranch....i think my parents built a ranch with the idea of retiring there 6 months of every year? dan and i have planted flowers but they have not survived the Cape Cod winters and neglect.....i love your vision...it FEELS like a cottage with flowers....in my heart. love al

    ReplyDelete