Search This Blog

Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Masterful Press Trip

I've been on press trips to promote and introduce journalists/bloggers to, among other things, certain pockets of the U.S. [Door County, Wisconsin], a young makeup line [at a spa in Montauk], chocolate [Lake Champlain Chocolates, Vermont], children's clothes [L.L. Bean Kids, Freeport, Maine], Hoover vacuum cleaners [at the Housewares Show in Chicago] and even an island [Saint Lucia].

I haven't been on a trip to fluff up my knowledge of shampoo, or give me bright insights into flowers, but I've been at lunches to promote Starbucks, carrot skin creams, strawberries and toys. My colleagues back home have gone on cranberry trips, cheese trips, wine trips. Which brings me to this point: I'm in Traverse City, Michigan as a guest of GMC, and their team knows how to promote a brand.

This trip is all about the 2013 GMC luxury Terrain Denali, which we writers will test-drive tomorrow on a picturesque route. "We like to think this is where the Terrain Denali owner would vacation and dine," said GMC's Joe LaMuraglia of the lake drive, the excellent Boathouse restaurant, the local white wine served on a grassy knoll overlooking the bay, the sunset view from the table. If I were on a shampoo press trip, we might be driven to see the fields of flowers used to make it smell good, the factory where it is made, or the hair models with gorgeous tresses.

But here we are soaking up the Denali lifestyle. And I like it. I like meeting the other writers [from New York, Colorado, Michigan, L.A.--and places like Ebony Magazine, momtrends.com and travelingmamas.com]. I like sampling the tender queen-cut Kobe steak au poivre, I like drinking in the sunset and sipping the cappuccino. I like gathering information, jotting down notes and thinking of story angles I could pitch and colorful details that will add life to the pieces I write. I like getting away from the responsibilities of home.

I would love to write more, but it's after midnight, and breakfast tomorrow starts @ 7 A.M., with presentations at 8. I guess the Denali owner also packs a lot into her days. :) But I have to get up early enough to iron my luggage-crinkled dress in the morning. Good night.

TCOY
  1. Did some important reading and contemplating at Newark Airport when flight to Detroit was delayed about an hour this morning.
  2. Loved watching the sun set over the boats on the bay--tried to soak up Mother Nature's brush strokes--bruised gray, glowing orange, streaks of purple. Thought of my family back home..

4 comments:

  1. Good for you... glad you are getting this break. Maybe they should have flown everyone to the real Mount Denali in Alaska. As far as it was from Anchorage (and it was well over 200 miles) on a clear day you could see it looming in the distance. It was really beautiful. Have fun. Love, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, Lin, that Mount Denali sounds cool....you really saw so much while living in Alaska....sending love....and thanks for writing. love alice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jealous. Not the Cape, but not bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, not the Cape, but very stunning dune views;) Cape Cod coming up!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete