Search This Blog

Thursday, June 7, 2012

To the Sea: Greenwich Point, Connecticut

Horseshoe crabs mating*-Sis and I saw at least a dozen pairs.

In Greenwich today from 11 A.M. to 9 P.M.--just the break I needed to keep things in perspective. I motored over the Tappan Zee, looked up and saw a cloud shaped like a tall standing dragon with its mouth agape. That's me, I thought, fiercely standing toe to toe with someone's tough health problem. But then I wondered, Wait a minute, or is that the health problem, fiercely threatening to destroy us? It is a monster. Pernicious. But I can be fierce and strong for a good cause, too.

Sis and I had a long appointment at Chase regarding Dad's estate. It was productive and informative. And I marvel at the fact that my Dad, who never made a high salary, managed to buy blue-chip stocks like Coca-Cola in the 1960s. He was a canny investor. Yet one more thing I wish I could talk to him about. He would remember the details.

Other Connecticut escape notes:
  • Out to late, leisurely, two-hour lunch with Sis and Don at new eleven14 Kitchen @ the J House hotel in Riverside. Sis treated. It was a splurge. [Big switch from canned black bean soup yesterday and leftover penne three days in a row.] The look is stylish sofas at some tables, and cable-knit "sweaters" slipped over the chair backs. [Hard to explain, but chic--like sleeveless, slip-on chair vests.] Our charming young waiter was Charles, and it was his first day. We had: chilled Prosecco, effervescent and pleasing in the slender glass, white shrimp pizza [shared as appetizer, yum] and I had a tender burger with Amish Cheddar on top. For dessert: three spoons for the signature chocolate dessert, a long, stacked, mousse-filled bar, and Fresh, Fresh Strawberry Cake. We embraced the double adjectives, especially since Don likes to say things in pairs, like "Accurate sisters, accurate, accurate," and we also loved the artistic presentation and creamy filling. But then Don, frozen scoop fan, decided to try the apricot sorbet after all, and boy, did that taste fresh-picked.
  • Greenwich Point, about 4:30ish to 6 P.M.!!!! A healthy dose of Cape Cod for one-fifth the drive time [one hour from Montclair vs. 5-6 hours]. We saw many snowy white egrets, graceful against the swaying green grass. Then: mating horseshoe crabs!!!!! I've seen horseshoes since girlhood--Dad loved to show us the empty armorlike shells and brought some back from the Cape. But this was kind of alarming...the pairs starting scooting across the sand when we approached. I actually found it kind of creepy, even though I love nature. They looked weirdly stealthy and prehistoric. Some of them were even tagged for tracking purposes. Ouch, it must have hurt to get those tags punched through their shells, even if they are like armor. I loved walking and talking with my Sis. 
  • Refreshing nap on Sis's black couch--feel asleep looking up at blue sky over Route 95 before a light dinner Sis made and my hourlong drive again.
Home safe. Good night.

*Horseshoe image from tampabayaquarium.com.

TCOY
  1. Did my hair [nice shampoo].
  2. Good tooth care.
  3. Lessons in fiscal health [via Dad/Sis/Chase]. Want to be fiscally healthy.
  4. The walk at Greenwich Point.


No comments:

Post a Comment