Search This Blog

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Down to the Land of Asparagus Farms

We drove way down south today to get Punchy from her grandma Hope's.....in a Jersey place where we heard asparagus grows high, tomatoes ripe and juicy, spaghetti squash fat and golden [we had the latter two for dinner].

Oh, so that's why it's named the Garden State. Right, one of my college friends at Rutgers called a peach orchard home, and Hope's husband told us all about his grandfather, who proudly grew "ground fruits" each year: strawberries, cantaloupe, watermelon, cantaloupe again and then pumpkins.

Before that, we went to see my good cousin Lin and her mom, my Aunt Edith, who live in another part of South Jersey....Aunt E. is 90 and faced with rougher and rougher times that require more and more assistance. We got to see Lin's nice family, too--seeing all of them was a good thing.

From old to young....Aunt Edith in a new wheelchair, Punchy in new sneakers....one losing the power to communicate what she wants and needs, the other never having really had it in the first place, though we're trying to empower her and understand that.

Good night.

TCOY
  1. Had salad, unsweetened iced tea and applesauce with Lin [thanks, Lin], and Hope made spaghetti squash and salad.
  2. About to track Weight Watchers Points.



4 comments:

  1. I am so happy that we get the chance to catch up so frequently. Your friendship means so much to me. Thank you and H. for taking the time to visit with mom. :)

    Love, Lin

    P.S. I love spaghetti squash and I am always looking for new ways to fix it. How did she make it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lin. We loved seeing you and you're my honorary Sissy !
      Every time I see you I notice how kind, caring and pretty your eyes are. We enjoyed getting to chat with L!! Xo Alice

      Delete
  2. Ps Hope served the squash with
    Italian meat sauce and large Parmesan shreds to scatter on
    Top. I want to try it too !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your mom and feel sad about life getting long and hard.

      Delete