Search This Blog

Friday, October 10, 2014

Rolling: Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day


Punchy and I went to see this tonight at Allwood Cinemas in Clifton. [I think the theater has $5 seats on Tuesdays--I somehow forget to go then.]

I'm a retro Disney movie fan and since this was based on a book written in 1972*, I guess I was hoping a little bit retro. It was not, with the exception of a role played by Dick van Dyke.

Jennifer Garner and Steve Carell [as the parents] are such lovable actors, I expected to love this, too. I did like the
  • Uber modern parenting roles. Nothing retro about those. Dad taking messy baby on a job interview, for example. Kind of unbelievable, as in, If a woman ever did that, and the baby grabbed a green highlighter and covered his mouth and face with it, that woman would likely be having her exit interview. Am I wrong?  Well, it is a Disney film, so suspension of disbelief....
  • Funny, frenzied Disneyesque way in which Garner pedals the bike to get to the book signing--brings back madcap moments from older films.
  • Kangaroo.
Having just seen Garner's husband, sexy Ben Affleck, in "Gone Girl," I couldn't help wondering what it's like to be married to him, balance two careers and three children. I bet he's forward thinking.

What would you give that movie on a scale of 1 to 10? I asked Punch as we got in the car. This is a question I always liked asking Figgy, too, and H.

I'd give it a 6, I said, to get the ball rolling.
What? Why would you only give it a a 6?
Well, it wasn't as good as other movies, like Charlotte's Web or Flipper.
I would give it a 200.

Well, trying to plow through some more office stuff a little bit now. H. flew to California for work Wednesday and just returned. I promised I'd have the piles off the sofa by now but I don't. One step at a time.

Good night.

*Per Wikipedia: Among Judith Viorst's books for children is the "Alexander" series (including Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day), whose narrator is a 5-year-old boy who lives with his parents and two brothers, Anthony and Nick, who are named for Viorst's own three sons.

TCOY
  1. Got to see Sis today. We had to go to the courthouse in Newark regarding Dad's estate.
  2. Went to doctor about my leg pain. She is sending me for a test.
  3. Salon blowout.

No comments:

Post a Comment