Search This Blog

Saturday, August 26, 2017

Big Screen: Wind River--and, Burying the Lede, Praying the Rosary

Image from HERE.
Wow. Dan and I went to see "Wind River" tonight at the movies, starring Elizabeth Olsen [Ashley and Mary-Kate's little sis] and Jeremy Renner. It was so good, a thriller/mystery about a teen girl gone missing on a Wyoming reservation. Based on actual events. Masterful, and the scenery was breathtaking--mountains and snow as far as the eye can see. Reportedly, a lot of Native American women disappear and are not accounted for.

Movies, one of the perks of Mimi taking Punch for a week in the summer! It feels so free, to hop in the car, walk into a restaurant [we finally tried Villalobos in Montclair, excellent shrimp taco], go to a late movie.

This will sound odd, and certainly off topic, but I think I started praying the Rosary today. I've never really done it, but a close friend of mine, whom I admire, gave me a string of beautiful green beads and the gift of a a brief talk about how praying the Rosary makes her feel. I have so much to learn about it: the words to some of the prayers, the Mysteries and what days to say which ones. I went on YouTube and Wikipedia and learned a lot already. I do remember being in church and hearing ladies in the parish saying/praying the Rosary sometimes, but not enough to really embrace it. It sounded like a lot of rote repetition. And though my mother sometimes went to Miraculous Medal novenas at Saint Mary's, and at least one night, I went with her, I still don't really don't understand what they are.

What's intriguing now is the quiet power and grace promised, and what I experience as the hope it offers to help me dig out of depression......to find comfort....to pray to Mary.....to trust in Mary....honor a Higher Power...and though the emerald green beads are pretty, I did read, Madonna aside, that it's not appropriate to wear them as jewelry. You know me, I love accessories. My grandma, Rosie, brought back delicate sterling silver rosaries from Italy for her four granddaughters.....I have mine somewhere. Must find.

Have you or your family ever prayed the Rosary? I'd love to hear.....

Good night.

TCOY
  1. Learning about praying the Rosary.
  2. Water.
  3. Movies.
  4. Wrote two cards to mail. I love that.





No comments:

Post a Comment