Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 17, 2018

The Man in the Blue Shirt

It's a really nice Lands' End long-sleeve blue shirt that Sis got Dan for Christmas or his birthday. He looks handsome in it.

He came home from working in the city yesterday--he had a fruitful meeting for a New York Times Magazine article--and tried to talk me out of my depression with the kind of no-nonsense advice he might give as the yellow-hatted, bow-tied 60-Second Novelist--on the rare occasions that he gives advice, rather than telling each subject's story.

It reminded me of the hard-won wisdom from his Grandma Millie, who had a hardscrabble Hell’s Kitchen childhood and later worked in the Tootsie Roll Factory.

Ya don't work, you can't eat. Ya don't eat, ya can't work, she would say. This from a woman about 4 feet tall.

I heard his footsteps coming up the creaky wood stairs in this old house, calling Ali. With Punch away at Mimi's till Thursday, we had time and space to talk frankly.

I could barely get out of bed yesterday. It was superhot. My heart shrunk 10 sizes. I felt bitter, sad, disappointed, disillusioned. Angry. Powerless, I guess. Confused. Everything seemed broken or dead, from the dishwasher to the garden. Poor Sug, she lay in exhausted position by my side, loyal and true. I had to get up a few times to let her out, to feed her. I couldn't answer texts from my Sis, Moey and Lorraine. Could not make plans. Skipped my appt for annual physical and did not call. Could not confirm I would go to therapy today. But then I texted I will come and now I have to get in the shower and go--out in a crackling thunderstorm. It's probably appropriate, to snap me out of my inertia.

Today, Dan made me a list. I normally do this myself. He brought me coffee. I appreciated his kindness. I felt so lost.

TTYL.


9 comments:

  1. Aaaw, sorry to read this, impressed you wrote it. And you noticed a handsome guy in a flatttering shirt, so glimmers of light are shooting through!
    Hope they increase, and you feel sparkle and shine.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that guy. we need support when the going is dark. glad you have some. For whatever it's worth, and it's nothing compared to Dan, but you've been on my mind and i'm sending you light and love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the man, love the dog. Some days, having to take care of those loyal friends is good. All best,
    Nan
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, Alice, I hope today is a better today.

    It's such a sweet post. Don't ever forget how talented you are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I mean, "better day."

    ReplyDelete