Search This Blog

Thursday, August 2, 2018

Little Person Navigates Camp

Dan and I have been zipping around a lot while Punchy is at sleepaway camp these 2 weeks, and also working hard. But I got a call around noon from one of the camp directors.

Name changed to Punch for privacy.

Hello, Alice? 

Yes?

This is Molly.

Hi Molly. [Instant thoughts that Punch was in trouble somehow, maybe had broken some rule, misbehaved. Like when you get a call from the principal or vice principal, as when Punch and friend were collecting money for their slime business at school.]

I wanted to let you know that Punch was just here and told me she needs to go home, that she misses her Mom* and needs her Mom to come get her.  Her counselor said Punch said her medicine didn't work last night, and she couldn't fall asleep until 10:15. I'm not sure what's going on. There's a show today that she's in.

Oh, she has had stage fright. This year at school, she was fine in the dance show but when she had a speaking part another year, she had bad stage fright.

She is doing a song and dance. Who knows what could be wrong. They cooked their breakfast over a campfire this morning, and maybe she didn't like what she made. 

Is she having fun? Making friends?

Yes. I just wanted to check with you and let you know what she said and then I will tell her what you said.

I don't think she should come home. We are picking her up Saturday after family day, which starts at 2:30, right? Tell her Dan and I don't want to miss family day. And she likes the horseback riding, right?

I agree, I just wanted to check with you. And I think she might have her second riding lesson tomorrow, so I will remind her of that.

Ok, thank you, Molly, have a good day.

Thank you. You, too.

God bless little Brunetti. It's hard to square your shoulders and face your challenges. It takes courage. But Brunetti, know that Danay and Figgy and I are sending lots of love to you and hoping you are ok.

TCOY
  1. Sis and I saw my cousin Lin! 
  2. I had a salad.
  3. Ice water galore.
  4. For snack, banana w PB.
  5. Went to Whole Foods for groceries, did not succumb to candy or cookies. Almost got the plantain chips that my friend, Nan, wrote about, but knew I couldn't practice portion control [only saw big containers]. They looked so salty and crunchy and good. I would have eaten them on car ride home.
  6. Important reading and writing.
*It seemed in this case that she was referring to me.
   






4 comments:

  1. Two weeks is a long time. But now she knows she can stick things out. So important to be capable when you’re that age! Congrats on cousin time! Even though it’s a lot of wasteful packaging, I get the individual sized smart pop for a snack. Big bag would be gone in one sitting! Happy Friday!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz. I hope last weekend was great with your boy and Y and Nan, et al.....yes you are right, two weeks must seem like a long time. xox

      Delete
  2. Good job, Mom! Sounds very well handled all around!

    ReplyDelete