COMPARE TO TOTAL FEBRUARY SPEND OUT OF POCKET: $3,159.25.
Please note, there were 3 extra days in March vs. February 2019. However, there were days where I was too tired to blog or just typed a few words. I often caught up on the spending log, but not sure I was 100 percent scrupulous. I hope so. I put observations, below, after the numbers. The amount of money spent seems shockingly high--but does count a big birthday splurge; haircut; hair color; yoga classes; and a short trip to Cape Cod. Will do my best to watch out in April.
1. GROCERIES [to feed family of 4, including 1 vegetarian and 1 vegan--plus 1 small dog, who makes 5 total]
WHOLE FOODS: $346.02.
CVS, milk, cereal, dried fruit, nuts, etc.: $129.24.
March: $968.61. ⬆️
WHOLE FOODS: $373.72.
GRAND CENTRAL MARKET, NYC: $37.37.
EGGS FROM FARM STAND ON CAPE: $7.
EASTHAM SUPERETTE ON CAPE: $36.84.
MONTCLAIR BREAD COMPANY, BREAD: $12.
2. FOOD AND DRINK OUTSIDE THE HOME, OR DELIVERED
STARBUCKS [APP]: $38.27.
DINING OUT, ME, INCLUDING JOYIST: $165.89.
COFFEE, IN ADDITION TO STARBUCKS: $73.94.
BAKERIES + SNACKS: $41.32.
PIZZA DELIVERY: $42.17.
March ["NEW" MEANS NEWLY LISTED CATEGORY]: $722.69. UP ⬆️
STARBUCKS [APP]: $89.30. UP ⬆️
JAVA LOVE: $30.54. NEW 📣
DINING OUT, ME, WITH OTHERS OR ALONE: $336.96. UP ⬆️
JOYIST [healthy, pure food & drinks, plus serene workspace]: $139.50. UP ⬆️
FANCY COFFEE BEANS: $33.99. NEW 📣
BAKERIES + SNACKS: $10.54. DOWN ⬇️
PIZZA DELIVERY: $24.71. DOWN ⬇️
CHINESE FOOD DELIVERY: $39.15. NEW 📣
FANCY DARK CHOCOLATE [USUALLY FOR BAKING]: $18. NEW 📣
3. PUNCHY MISCELLANEOUS
GYMNASTICS AND SOCCER CLOTHING FOR PUNCH: $99.97.
FEEDING PUNCH + PALS [SOMETIMES W. ME + FIG] AWAY FROM HOME: $263.50.
March: $67.23. DOWN ⬇️
FEEDING PUNCH + PALS [SOMETIMES W. ME], INCLUDING TREATS + SNACKS AWAY FROM HOME: $59.23. DOWN ⬇️ [I think I may have crunched some of this into the dining out category above, not sure--and most of the Starbucks app $ is when I buy food and beverages for Punch and pals.]
MHS DANCE SHOW: $8.
BEAUTY SALON FOR PUNCH + ME: $185.
HIGH-END BEAUTY PRODUCTS: $189.99.
March: $522.01 DOWN ⬇️
ACCESSORIES/JEWELRY: ZERO! DOWN ⬇️
BEAUTY SALON FOR ME [cut and color, two visits]: $351. UP ⬆️
HIGH-END BEAUTY PRODUCTS: $NONE. DOWN ⬇️
ORDINARY/NOT LUXE BEAUTY PRODUCTS: $78.71. NEW 📣
CLOTHING/ME: $92.30. UP ⬆️ [included bra, wasteful, not so great]
CHARITABLE DONATIONS: $104.
SCHOOL FUNDRAISERS: $61.50.
March: $142. ⬇️
CHARITABLE DONATIONS: $120 [public radio pledge, $10 monthly]
SCHOOL FUNDRAISERS: $22.
GIFTS and cards, mostly gift cards.
March: $732.43 ⬆️
GIFTS for friend and Sis and girls: $31.
Bday gift cash/young friend + card: $34.
FOR PUNCH'S 12th BDAY ON MARCH 11: $667.43 [subtotals below]
Helmet $30 [Sis paid the other $40].
Adorable Uggs, half price + Uggs suede protectant spray, $77.50.
Bday party lunch + treats at Serendipity in NYC for Punch, 4 girlfriends, me + Dan, with tip: $270.93.
Hallmark card and bow to put on bike, $9.
February: That was the anniversary overnight Dan planned/NYC.
March: Truro! Cape Cod cottage, girls getaway, 2 nights, Airbnb, my part was $140.
CAR REPAIR/MAINTENANCE: $25.
PARKING FEES + TICKETS: $37.70.
BUS TO NYC/UBER IN TOWN: $34.93.
MAGAZINES: ABOUT $32. [Eating Well special issue; LIFE Mary Poppins special issue; small Taste of Home slow cooker magazine]
READING GLASSES/PEEPERS BRAND: $25.59.
March: $877.07--WAY UP ⬆️
CVS, INCLUDES GROCERIES, ORGANIC MILK, NUTS, DOG FOOD, GREETING CARDS, CLEANING PRODUCTS, ETC.: $186.29.
VET FOR SUGAR [2 VISITS]: $185. NEW 📣
5-PACK YOGA CLASSES: $120. NEW 📣
GASOLINE [including Cape trip]: $108.54. ⬆️
CAR REPAIR/MAINTENANCE: $0. ⬇️
PARKING METERS/FEES: $7.75. ⬇️
ROUND-TRIP BUS TO NYC: $13.90.
METROCARD: $20. NEW 📣
UBERS IN TOWN: $49.46. ⬆️
HOME DECOR, INCLUDING CANDLE, LAMP SHADE, SPATULA, FRENCH PRESS: $69.20. NEW 📣
MAGAZINES: ZERO? [seems impossible, but true] ⬇️
BOOKS, all 6 purchased in Cape Cod thrift shops, which my friend loves: $8. ⬇️
ATM BANK FEES: $9.
BOOK SIGNING/TALK, LIDIA BASTIANICH, $17.
OFFICE SUPPLIES/FOLDERS: $14.93.
MY NEW BIKE HELMET, SINCE I DIDN'T HAVE ONE THAT FIT: $40.
- I think that knowing we were spending so much on Punchy's bday in March helped me hold back on luxe splurges like beauty products and accessories. [Kim's feedback to plan those spends also helped.]
- This number is so much higher than February that I wonder if I recorded everything last month. The longer I do this, the more committed I become. It is, strangely, fun. I know I did eat out more this month, including with Sis; an old friend; and Celia. And on Cape Cod, Anne & I had a delicious dinner out; I had a lobster roll for lunch; and we went to the Hot Chocolate Sparrow for sandwiches and coffee twice.
- The black lace "tulip bra," bought the night of the day I found out I didn't move on to next round for job I hoped for, was kind of a waste of money. It's not too comfy. It was an impulse buy. It could have turned out to be great, but it didn't.
- The lamp shade, on the other hand, is as fabulous as I hoped.
- It's hard to put off practical expenses. I mean, I could live without sunglasses--my last pair broke months ago--but probably shouldn't, as I like/need UV protection. Same with the new bike helmet. I choke when I snap the strap on my old one.
- Kings, 24 oz. yellow baby potatoes and 3/4 lb. large sea scallops for dinner, so delicious. Fed family of 4; stretched out meal w vegs we had--baby spinach [sauteed] peas + mushrooms [simmered]. Also used ingredients already on hand: garlic, EVOO, fresh basil, lemon, sea salt, white cooking wine, black pepper, butter. You do need the arsenal. Spent $24.66.
AVERAGE DAILY SPEND FOR MONTH AS OF APRIL 1: $24.66.