Search This Blog

Monday, May 13, 2019

The Honor of Being Present

It's an honor to be here for my sister. When we were girls--and she was going out to baby-sit for Mrs. Fullner--she often left me a note on my pillow in the bedroom we shared.

Today, I blew-dry her hair, watching the whoosh of warm air lift her auburn locks. I have never blown-dry anyone's hair before except for maybe Figgy's and attempts at my own. [Punch has smooth, silky hair--only into salon blowout treats.]

My sister has pretty hair--a short, stylish cut. After it was dry, I brushed the back.

I brought her the little pink container of baby powder. Reached for the washcloth, put a pump of Rainbath in the tub. Helped dry her legs. 

I have steeped Sleepytime Mint Tea in her mug at night....she makes us excellent coffee, even now, in a French press.

I took down her grocery list. Orange seltzer; skinless, boneless chicken thighs; unsalted whipped butter; a bottle of dish detergent; bananas; nuts.

I walk the sweet doggy, Buttercup. She seems not to want to go too far, maybe because it's been rainy or maybe because her mama is not herself. Right now, they are lying on the couch, the little auburn dachshund/terrier mix pressed against Sis's leg.

I've been in touch with my family, of course. Figgy is finishing up exams! And doing great...organic chemistry, evolutionary biology, etc. She has a summer course and a few fall courses left and then she will graduate from Montclair State University with a degree in biology. Dan made a stir-fry tonight and got a small split of Champagne to celebrate her hard work. Punchy is Punchy. I think she is doing okay...I know she is having fun...but I worry from afar.

I will be here until Wednesday. After that, I will worry, but friends will step in to care for Sis. She is doing better day by day. Today, she shampooed her hair with my help, put on golden earrings, napped on the couch instead of just in bed.

Good night.

TCOY
  1. Wore nice yellow wrap top I bought on Cape Cod two summers ago.
  2. Had raw orange pepper, hummus, veg soup.
  3. Short marina views with Buttercup.
$ MONEY SPENT OUT OF POCKET:
  • ShopRite in Stamford, to get groceries for Sis. On separate receipt, bought Hallmark get well card for her and two Nivea lip balms, on sale for $1.50 each, $9.14.
    I bought this at ShopRite for $1.50. Love it.
TOTAL DAILY SPEND: $9.14.
RUNNING TOTAL FOR MONTH AS OF MAY 13: $1,197.15.
AVERAGE DAILY SPEND: $92.08.


keeping my eye on past numbers:
TOTAL APRIL SPEND OUT OF POCKET: $3,634.28.
MY TOTAL MARCH SPEND OUT OF POCKET: $4,128.41.
TOTAL FEBRUARY SPEND OUT OF POCKET: $3,159.25.



No comments:

Post a Comment