Search This Blog

Thursday, August 25, 2022

Summer Travel Fashion Faux Pas


 This pineapple skirt from Dudley Stephens is my favorite summer piece (bought half price in a flash sale) but I left it air-drying when rushing into the Uber for our plane to Florida.

I have adjusted to these rather than overspend to fix them. I have breathed in the beauty of my surroundings and counted my blessings. Yet:

  1. My silver Tory Burch sandals broke as I stepped into the car to go with Dan to our friends’ daughter’s beautiful dinner wedding cruise in New York City. I briefly considered high gold Coach sandals with charms, pretty but it would have been too hard to dance and also walk up and down from deck to deck. I would also have towered slightly over Dan. So I wore flat sandals, not at all slimming for me, especially with a long hemline. 
  2. I packed in a rush for Cape Cod. I swam in Great Pond in Eastham in my sunny yellow Soon swimsuit top designed by our goddaughter, Florida Orange, with an old mismatched bottom. I didn’t feel comfortable, so the next two days at the pond, I wore the top and left my light sport skirt on over the bottom. For this Florida trip to see Figgy, I brought the sunny top and my black tankini, too, for the ocean.
  3. Travel regulations cramped my style. I prefer car trips, tossing books and full-size beauty products into the trunk. This 3-ounce fluids limit is hard. Landed here in Jacksonville Beach Airbnb sans makeup remover or lip soothers. Found a lip butter at Whole Foods and Vaseline (great for both tasks) at CVS.
  4. I grabbed hit-or-miss accessories. I only packed one fun, light scarf to tie in my hair or around my neck. Slept just four hours before the flight, didn’t bring my gold charm bracelet, a sentimental favorite that brings me joy.
  5. No heels. I flew to Florida for six nights without a single pair of heels. Grievous oversight. I missed them.
I guess that’s it.....not bad in the grand scheme of things. I did bring good bras, black anchor pieces for tops, comfy PJ set, hair ties for the beach, more....have to go, writing project before Dan, Skipper and I rent bikes here....Figgy making dinner at her house tonight for us, with her three lovely housemates--and peppers they grew in the backyard.


5 comments:

  1. I had several such travel moments on my two summer trips, I thought of doing a similar write up of what worked and what didn’t. Having the accessories that bring some joy can be so nice on a trip!
    —Nan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right, Nan? It’s been so long without air travel for me! Live and learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Maine adventure was south of Portland at Old Orchard Beach - Arcadia not feasible, requires a separate trip.
    I feel these packing emotions! Yes comfort for most, but can you squeeze in a little glamor…and do you bring favorites and risk losing them? And hate 3 oz bottles- that is not even two days of body lotion! The toiletries I need for even an overnight are ridiculous. The one good thing I do is make myself put on the whole outfit the week before - put aside that underwear, jewelry, wrap with the outfit. But the rest is pretty hit or miss.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Liz. Oh, trying on the outfit with accessories is a good idea. So glad you got up to Maine. hug

    ReplyDelete