Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 31, 2022

When Wedding Bells Stop: A Tough Topic to Face

I once applied for a writer position at Bride’s Magazine at Condé Nast on Madison Avenue. In the copy test, fed on white paper through my IBM Selectric electric typewriter--after hours at my women’s magazine job--I used words like frothy lace, magical, fairy tale and princess.

I was young and bridal magazines sell dreams, after all.

It was fun to write like that. I came close, but ultimately didn’t get the offer. I cried. But my dream career continued.

For SoFi.com, assignments come my way, on topics from safe deposit boxes to pet care savings. This one was an awakening, and a little hard to dig into. We all have friends, family and acquaintances who are divorced. Life informs one’s writing, so that helped. I thought of the women and men I know, the ones I’m close to, the struggles they faced.

Enjoy your day. I’m at my dining room table writing. Nina, our cat, runs by to visit or crawls into an empty grocery tote to rest nearby.

Here is the divorce budget article link: 

Budgeting Tips for Life After Divorce

(Image from SoFi.com.)


3 comments:

  1. La Maison Family Boutique Hotel is located in Katoomba, the prime location in the center of the world heritage listed Blue Mountains, National Park.
    Family Hotel Katoomba
    La Maison Boutique Hotel Katoomba

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job, Alice. I think it is thorough in pointing out the many financial aspects of divorce to consider, but also encouraging, which I think is your trademark. (So to speak, Hee). So overwhelming to deal with emotional devastation and logistical tidal wave… thanks for posting!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz. Trademark, LOL, right. (I hope your work is going well.) Have to look at the wedding outfits!!!! :)

      Delete