Search This Blog

Saturday, April 6, 2024

Joan Didion + Prayer

Joan Didion, John Gregory Dunne and Quintana Roo, likely in Malibu, 
or somewhere else on the California coastline. 
Photo by Julian Wasser from here.

I'm reading Blue Nights, a memoir by Ms. Didion. Much of the weave connects moments with and memories of her daughter, Quintana Roo. Quintana was adopted. 

I have loved the author's crisp, precise writing since I took Slouching Towards Bethlehem, an essay collection, from my sister's book shelf in our shared bedroom to read on the long bus ride to Atlantic City to visit my boyfriend. Words carefully parsed, sentences lean and slim, but they say so much. They say everything.

Something in Ms. Didion's steeliness, especially for such a small woman, inspires me. She sees it and says it. I also read that she enjoyed buying beautiful clothing, such a little cashmere sweater, for her girl or herself, sometimes even matching. I did that, too, with Figgy and later, Punch (though not matching for Punch, since she was away from our fold from age 15 months to 6.5 years).  

Dan returned on the red-eye today after being flown out to Palm Springs to write 60-Second Novels at a fancy party at the Dinah Shore estate. He was home by 11 a.m. and then had to leave by 6 p.m. (in an Uber, still no running car) to write stories at a party in NYC, a bar mitzvah.

I was so low. So low about many things. Coincidence that Figgy moved out a week ago yesterday? Did the significance of that escape me? I'm happy for her, and she is happy, building an IKEA dresser with her friend, choosing pretty accent colors for her bedroom, setting up her plants. But with her absence, I'm fretting these days over worries I have about Punch and Young Romeo. With Figgy gone and Dan away, my lens has zoomed in and frozen. I need to zoom out.

Our kitchen sink is backed up. Don't ask, we had an expensive new garbage disposal installed but we can't turn it on until an electrician or two comes to install an outlet under the sink, since this model has a plug. I managed to catch up on all the dishes, by hand (vintage china) and in the dishwasher tonight. I have a half-price-after-Easter pot of tulips on the mantel. Can't tell what color yet, since the flowers keep their secrets in those tight green hoods.

I went on two Zoom support groups today and made two phone calls. I prayed, in fear and desperation. Over the known and unknown, over things I can't control. I think I am okay.

Good night.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you, hitting meetings and the phone! Exactly the right thing to prioritize with so many things vying for your attention. Gold star, Alice. So sorry about the car/ dishwasher backdrop to dangerous teens, that is absolutely a lot. Love that you check for blooms, amidst your worries. You are in essence cheerful and want to be happy - I think that true of all four of us, and it is a quality to cling to in hard times.
    Xxx
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS Didion too steely for me - that is one unpitying eye, brrrr!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Liz. Ms. Didion's eye is factual....but her heart is in the spare words, too. Sometimes I think I am crazy/neurotic and maybe that's true. Like I worried and worried and created a whole story in my mind that I was convinced was true and I was completely wrong on both plots (involving Miss Punch and Young Romeo). DBT says practice acceptance, use your wise mind, which is where your emotional mind overlaps with your reasonable mind. I keep on trying. I think I want/expect Dan to be neurotic with me, too, and sometimes get upset when he reminds me of DBT tenets. Liz, I appreciate you caring and writing an encouraging comment here. Today, I think I turned a corner when I clipped sweet-smelling daffodils and forstythia from our garden to bring to our next-door neighbors, who just had a baby boy. Their first baby. xo Alice

    ReplyDelete