Search This Blog

Monday, April 8, 2024

Back from Eclipse Chasing

Punch + Romeo on the museum terrace, near Central Park.

The teens made fast friends with New Yorkers around them, 
from a retired teacher to a museum guard
I used odd "lasso" effect to encircle photo. I'd like to redo/perfect/play 
with it more, but I have to do my work.

Michael + Dan near Canada. Full totality.

Our threesome in New York, New York.

I was on the terrace behind the Museum of Natural History in New York, New York to watch the solar eclipse with family (and strangers, who became fast friends). We three, even our hard-to-impress teen girl, are glad we went. Romeo, Punch and I are tired now. Walked to cute old train station in Montclair, boarded 10:56 a.m. double decker to NY Penn Station, explored Moynihan Train Hall, bustling and fun, and took C subway to 81st Street/museum stop ($2.90 per person each way when I used my debit card at the turnstyle, still a pretty good deal).

Dan and his close pal drove all the way up in Vermont near Canada to see the full effect and are stuck in crawling traffic back tonight. They couldn't find coffee or a bathroom on those narrow highways. Figgy and friend drove to Lake George and then another viewing destination in New York State. (Both parties left a day ahead and found lodging.) Punchy's school closed at 1 p.m. today for the eclipse (so everyone "could stay safe") and Romeo has spring break this week. So we let Punch miss the short school day. It was history. It was good. So cool to see that flat, perfectly round shadowy black skillet bottom glide slowly, slowly over the fiery cooking flame of the sun. We didn't see totality but all cardboard eclipse glasses on, necks craned, faces to the sky at 3:25 p.m. Eastern Time. No flash in the pan. Totally worth it.





4 comments:

  1. Very fun. John and I took turns using Peters welding helmet in our front yard. How small we are!
    Xxx
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. super fun here too! F and I saw it outside my office and same NYC energy--strangers becoming friends, sharing glasses with passerbys. Very lovely. M/C watched it on their roof, Y/A drove to Cleveland saw totality! So, too, did Am/Jus, who drove to Buffalo. Not sure about Ab and her Summer. For C/P, a bit of a bust. C was in school, not sure how that went down. F made P see it from the hallway. Those 2 are at their happiest and lowest, methinks. --Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, I love your report....the energy....that's why I wanted to get into NYC. That and the fact that without a car, at least the trains to our glorious city were still on track....so lucky for that. I hope the baby is thriving. :)

      Delete