The lobby at the Ace Hotel in downtown Brooklyn.
Well, Dan almost had a detached retina about a month ago and required emergency surgery on a Saturday night. Thank God he did not lose his vision in the eye.He can't fly to work at 60-Second Novelist party gigs quite yet and can't see well enough to drive at night. So I drove him here to the Ace Hotel in downtown Brooklyn. And I'm sitting in the sleek lobby to write a little while he writes a lot for the party guests, on his vintage typewriter.
It's just a 6-minute walk from here to the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, owned by Sony and outfitted with chefs and waitstaff to bring things like a "Boozy Shake" (the Grasshopper) or fried pickle spears with buttermilk ranch dressing to your reclining seat. I wish Dan could join me, because we are passionate moviegoers.
I found a lone seat left on the aisle to see "Primetime," starring Robert Pattinson, while Dan is working. Then I will drive us home in time for Jalen Brunson's SNL gig at 11:30 p.m.!
Writing the serial mystery on Substack has turned out to be harder than I thought right off the cuff. Historical fiction, if you will. Research for accuracy and color. Story arc and structure, character development. Conflict, drama.
Glad to be in the hotel lobby sitting at a long communal wood work table across from a wide, comforting gas fireplace with flickering flames. Lamps lined up down the middle of the plank. Sturdy yet comfy chairs. A gift shop with great $95 sweatshirts. A lobby menu. But I'm saving my budget for dine-in movie watching.
Just wanted to check in.

so glad you did! Send my healing thoughts to Dan. --Kim
ReplyDeleteYes, thanks for the checkin! And, I’m enjoying the mystery. I hope you have fun with it!
ReplyDeleteXoxo, Nan
Hi Kim and Nan. Thank YOU for checking in. Hug
ReplyDelete