Search This Blog

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Lost in Space, Suburbia Style

For the life of me, I couldn't find my way tonight.
Oh, God. I left Montclair about 10:30ish tonight to pick up Figgy and her two friends at Confetti, a teen dance club in Randolph. Her friend's Mom had dropped them off. It was a Foam Friday, which I gather means they were dancing on a floor topped with wet, squishy foam.

But the fog was thick as soup and one headlight was out and I got myself lost, royally. What should have taken 43 minutes took...well, I never got there. Even though I did the drop-off last time, maybe in early May. But Figgy was co-piloting then.

It was 12:25 A.M., five minutes from the club's closing time, and I was supposed to be there by 11 to get the girls. I somehow missed a turn, and ended up way far off, in Harding Township, then Bernardsville. I went into a fancy bar called Vine and the fellow directed me back toward Morristown, where a cop pointed me back to Route 80. But I got lost again. I was heading for the George Washington Bridge. That damn Route 80. It was pretty much a nightmare. Fig was calling me every five minutes for a while--though some of the time she seemed more concerned about me than her--and I was in a panic. H. called too, from California, where he just flew for a business trip. I was on the verge of tears.

Finally, at 12:25, I asked to speak to someone who works at Confetti, and Jerry, a security guard, promptly came on. He said he lived near where I was at that point, and that I should wait at the Wendy's and he'd drive the girls over--he didn't want to risk me getting lost again, as they had to close up. When he arrived, I hugged him--and gave him a $10 Wendy's gift card. I know it was kind of risky to let the girls go with Jerry, whom I had never met, but he sounded honest. By the time we got home, after getting some snacks, it was about 2 A.M. I'm glad we're all safe in our beds now.

I want a drink, but we have no wine. Good night.

TCOY
  1. Paid some long overdue bills--that felt good.
  2. Boot camp in the park.
  3. Ice water.
  4. Salon blowout.
  5. At pizza place, chose whole-wheat slice with loads of veggies on top [wish I had made smart choices later @ Chinese place and then Wendy's, but didn't].
  6. Rest.
  7. Tracked my spending--realized I spent too much today on this and that. Facing up to that is a way to TCOY. 



1 comment:

  1. Boy, can I relate to this! I get lost everywhere. So grateful for the invention of the GPS. They have become pretty reasonable in price lately, too. Love, Linny

    ReplyDelete