Search This Blog

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

Haven't read the books, saw only a few of the movies. But couldn't miss the last one!
Fig and I went to see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 in 3-D tonight. We were pretty much glued to our seats. I don't like creepy, scary movies b/c they give me nightmares, but I didn't mind any of the witch and dark stuff here because a.] it's veiled in cool wizardry and whimsical magic and b.] I just knew that the people I cared about would still be standing at the end. That makes all the difference in the world.

I really liked the army of massive stone soldiers that came to life with a spell; the multiplying tumble of golden treasures; the magic wands; the black-gowned students; the tiara with the blue stone; the mirror with Harry's image in it; the painting with a real girl in it; the elaborate robes, hats and makeup; the evil personalities, all drama and doom; the clear goodness of Harry & Co.; the flashback to the hero as a baby in his crib; and the undercurrents of love stories, fulfilled and not. And of course, Professor Minerva McGonagall--Deputy Headmistress of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and Head of the Gryffindor House--again played masterfully by Maggie Smith. Also, who doesn't adore a good fast-forward to the future at the end of a movie? Irresistible plum. Hearing about that made me really want to see the film.

Nice way to spend a summer evening.

Good night.

TCOY
  1. Took a short walk.
  2. Stared down Nesquik at bagel shop.
  3. Went shopping with friend Barbara--last day of deep Lilly sale. Then we stopped by to show loot to pal Anne, who had to miss the escapade. We did get a Lilly planner for her. Barb got a lovely maxi dress with halter neckline. Fashion is TCOY!






2 comments:

  1. Hey, I saw it last night too! I've read all the books, and credit them for getting both my boys into reading and furthering our relationships. It was cool to them at 8 years old to be able to share books with me where my interest was legitimate, not feigned. Sadly, my girl was never into it and is still less interested in reading than her siblings.

    Still, it was time for the series to come to an end, and I was glad to see many of the final questions nicely wrapped up in the flash forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nan. yes, i have heard from moms of boys that HP got them all immersed in and loving reading. that is so great. hmmm....i wonder what books would interest your girl? let me think, though I'm sure you have already, since you love to read...have a good day....alice

    ReplyDelete