Search This Blog

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Embarrassing Travel Emergencies

I think I want a pretty carry-on bag like this Vera Bradley.
  1. Hand-washed black tights night before leaving home for airport at 7 A.M. Don't like to put them in dryer. Wrung out all water, hung over showerhead. They still weren't dry in the morning but I had to take that go-to black pair; it fits just right. Got out blow dryer, aimed it at stockings.
  2. After Serenity Massage in Door County spa, took clothes off and got into shower. Could not figure out how to get hot water. Could not read dial. Had to step back out and step back in with reading glasses on. Glasses got wet. And I also flooded the floor a little, but I dried that right up with a thirsty bath towel.
  3. Going through security at Green Bay airport today, not only did one security lady check to see if I had something hidden in the cute bubble sleeve of my new pink dress, but then another security lady had to open my suitcase and empty my totebag. She told me I had to take out every paste and liquid and put it in a zip bag in a bin. I don't do that at Newark Airport; I honestly thought that as long the liquids were 3 ounces or less, I could leave them in my bag. But here she was telling me that the tiny tube of Crest and the miniscule jar of eye cream have to be out and in a bag in a bin. Now I know. But this was embarrassing, as my rolling black carry-on, borrowed from H., was bursting at the seams and ready to fall apart. And here she was going through my personals, from the bag of dirty laundry to the socks I borrowed from H.
  4. Used women's room at Chicago O'Hare Airport*. Was so tired from schlepping the long way over to concourse B with my very heavy carry-on bags, weighed down with Door County coffee, granola, dried cherries, cheese wedges and two pairs of winter boots [one heeled and stylish, one flat for hiking] that by the time I got into the women's room stall, I forgot to push the button to get that shrink-wrapped toilet seat cover. As it was, I could barely fit in the stall with that giant rolling suitcase, fat totebag and my jacket, which was like a stuffed animal with a life of its own, because I had filled the sleeves with gifts I bought, my scarf and a shirt.
Well, I'm back home. It was a nice respite to be in Door County but already, I'm worrying about the health problem under this roof. I hope and pray it can be resolved. It is quite a puzzle. I will pray and hope, hope and pray--and put one foot in front of the other, do everything I can to meet this heavy issue head-on. But strongly, calmly, wisely, intuitively. God, walk with me, please. And walk with the person I love.

Good night.

*Have I mentioned that Vosges, which is Chicago-based, has two outposts at O'Hare? I love that chocolate boutique, all purple and exotic and rich. Vosges in my midst softened the blow of all that schlepping. Lucky, lucky Chicago.

TCOY
  1. I have to tell you, that airport walking weighed down with things must count. My back was sweating. Did you lose weight? You look like you lost weight. Punch's Mom said later. OK, if you say so.
  2. Broccoli at dinner.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment