Search This Blog

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Why Don't We Live in Maine?

As I stood--near sunset--on a little rocky beach as sailboats bobbed on Penobscot Bay, right at the foot of John's street, I wondered again: Why don't we live here in Maine? It's a question H. and I have toyed with for years. The houses are so much more affordable than in Montclair, and the yearly property taxes are a fraction of what we pay [our bill is nearly $15,000 per year for a small, one-bathroom Dutch colonial house built in the 1920s].

The answers always were: Because Dad and Sis/Don and dear friends are in and around NJ. But now Dad is gone. Of course our roots are in Montclair, and H. often works in NYC, and I have, too, so being near the city is key.

But really, have we made the right choice? Would life be more centered if I could see the blue bay every day, with islands and moutains not far off? With sweet, fairy-sized strawberries in July, blueberries that grow close to the ground and leaves of a hundred burnished colors every fall? With lakes and ponds and local dairy farms? Bridges and beaten paths and hiking trails?

Tomorrow, 10 or more of us are taking the ferry from Port Clyde to Monhegan Island to stay over for one night. We come back on the 4:30 ferry Tuesday.

But it's not all salty sea air and beach roses: I'm fretting about Sug. We left her home with Sis and Don, and she bit Sis when Sis tried to clean her mouth with a paper towel. I am worried. That dustmop is my best friend but....now she hurt my sister. You can't have it all.

Good night.

P.S. Have I mentioned how thankful I am that Figgy is her old self, feeling good? Laughing with her cousins, making funny jokes......summer is back, with its steamy heat and sun-tanned skin, and so is Figgy. I sure hope she stays.

TCOY 
  1. Good tooth care.
  2. Walked around town a fair amount.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Alice. The best part of this post is your report on how well Figgy is doing. And maybe Sug just misses you :( Enjoy the week... Maine sounds wonderful. Love, Lin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alice, read your Doctor, Doctor post from a couple of days ago to remind yourself how New York also nurtures your soul. But I've often thought about living where the beauty of nature is a daily glory to take your breath away, as a New England woman told John Steinbeck during peak leaf season in Travels With Charley. "You never get used to it". Something to think seriously about, if you've got family and community there to welcome you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nan...thank you for that thoughtful note. I like the Steinbeck quote! Lin, thank you.....love, alice

    ReplyDelete