Search This Blog

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Drifting to Sleep on a Raft of Color

Photo of Victoria and Richard MacKenzie-Childs from nj.com.
Just finished writing an article about a cool subject: Victoria and Richard MacKenzie-Childs, founders of the famous, whimsical MacKenzie-Childs home furnishings line. They live on a 1907 ferry on the Hoboken waterfront--a boat that transported immigrants from the harbor to Ellis Island in the 1920s. I visited the couple and toured lovingly restored Yankee the other day. [Way back, she was named Machigonne.] The original worn wooden benches are still on the passenger deck. When I wasn't furiously scribbling notes on my lined legal pad, I thought about my grandparents, Rose, Charles and Jim, coming from Italy and Ireland. About their bravery, their youth, their dreams and determination. Did they or their siblings sit on those benches?

A link to the ferry:  www.mackenziechildsyankeeferry.com
To the couple's shopping site: www.victoriaandrichardemprise.com

When the article comes out, I'll post it.

Good night.

TCOY
  1. Boot camp in the park.
  2. Walked Sug around block once.
  3. Read the novel Maine a little. 
  4. Wore my new Milly scarf from Fashion's Night Out--tied around ponytail. Perked me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment