Search This Blog

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Fall in Love

Summer is gone. Doors now flung open at our neighborhood school.
Crisp and clean. Mums and Granny Smiths, pies and crumbles. The neighborhood girls chalking hopscotch on the blacktop driveway. It's cool enough to play.

I remember learning hopscotch in front of 187 Bedford Road. And having metal roller skates with a key. And fearlessly climbing the tree in our front yard. All in the fresh fall weather. Were my parents watching? I proudly told them what I did. But yes, I think they knew.

Now, all around me, new backpacks and sneakers, notebooks, binders, sketch pads. Kids in school uniforms. Parents, grandparents and caregivers waiting outside at dismissal, expectantly, for the loves of their lives--or at least, the children under their wings--to spill through the doors.

Soccer. Field hockey. Sweater weather. My Tory Burch cardigans soon. Leaves drying and turning gold. Streets crowded with the cars of teachers who work up the block.

Pools closed. Crossing guards. Gridlock. Pumpkin spice lattes. Indian corn. Soup on the stove.

Autumn tiptoeing into our lives in her auburn high heels.

Good night.

TCOY
  1. Went to morning support group--felt like a warm nest. Yet a little scary too, as you know the goal is to eventually fly from an unhealthy yet comfortable place and land on your feet in a brave new world.
  2. Book group. Love my book group friends. And we ate outside!
  3. Long, restful nap.
  4. Saw Anne and Michael and kids for dinner.

2 comments: