Search This Blog

Sunday, November 11, 2012

My Traveling Companion

The book was written in 1955; this is the CD case.
I've blogged before about GIFT FROM THE SEA, the short, most wonderful book by Anne Morrow Lindbergh, writer, wife of Charles, groundbreaking aviator herself and mother of six, including the famous baby boy who was kidnapped.

Today Anne's words [read by Claudette Colbert, with an intro written and read by Anne's daughter, Reeve] were with me in the car as I drove 194 miles round trip to South Jersey, to see my Aunt Edith, who fell, had a heart attack and got pneumonia. My Aunt Edith is strong. From her hospital bed, she was charming and smart, and worried about me getting home safely.

I just love this recording...check it out. I can't put into words how beautiful it is, how much it speaks to me about the parallels between the beach and ordinary life and about how women/wives/mothers/writers can find balance in their lives, and alone time. Anne's story made the miles go quickly.

Good night.

TCOY
  1. Church. Late, but glad I went. Aim to be on time more. Went in, alone, with smoldering anger toward H. and Fig. [It's a long story.] Anger didn't vaporize, but I did arrive at the line, "If today you hear His voice, harden not your hearts." I thought on that.
  2. Pressed for time but bought grilled vegs and artichoke hearts to have with my lunch.
  3. Got to see my cousin Lin [Aunt Edith's daughter] and talk. Connect.
  4. Walked Sug around block once.


2 comments:

  1. Alice, it meant so much that you came all that way to see mom. Thank you! I know she loved and appreciated your visit... and you know I always love to see you, too. I should download that book to Kindle. It sounds good. Love, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lin, it was so good to see you and to see Aunt Edith doing so well in the face of challenges. She is awesome. love, al xoxo

    ReplyDelete