Search This Blog

Sunday, February 3, 2019

Saturday Spend

Hello...I went back to Kings for a quick sweep, even though I have been doing my best to avoid it, as it is pricey and bugs Dan.

And in the cereal aisle, I came across a box of steel-cut Irish oatmeal packets from a brand [above] that gives back. This is an example of the upscale, new or trendy product that Kings excels at. You know, a tall refrigerator case of chilled Junior's Cheesecakes from Brooklyn; breads from famous bakeries, like Balthazar; expensive almond flour; indulgent cheeses, $19.99 and more per pound; artisanal crackers. Things I am curious to reach out and try--in this case, to try while also helping feed someone else. Things that just jump into my cart.

I went again for timing reasons; Dan was driving to work at a party Saturday afternoon. I had gone to my morning support group, talked to my friends and had to have car back by 11:30 so he could leave. Kings is on my way home.

My friend Rachael doesn't just inspire me about lip gloss but often about healthy, delicious recipes to try. She had texted me this link for Crack Broccoli and I really wanted to try it, so zipped into Kings for the ingredients, including freshly grated Pecorino cheese, sliced almonds, fresh lemons and olive oil, in case our bottle was empty. It is now Sunday and I plan to make it momentarily.

I had a set amount of cash with me, so that was my cutoff.

I mainly stuck to sale items, though not all.

$ MONEY OUT OF POCKET
  • Broccoli crowns, 1.7 lbs., $1 off per pound on sale, $5.11.
  • The oatmeal packets, box of 5, $3.99.
  • Tulip plants in clay pots, one of Sis and one for me, $5.99 each. [Sis was coming over to get Buttercup.] $11.98.
  • Sliced almonds, $2.49.
  • Olive oil on sale, $5 off, $7.99.
  • Card for neighbor whose husband died, $3.79.
  • Pretty travel candle in tin for that neighbor, $8.99.
  • Triscuits, buy one/get one free, $3.99.
  • Freshly grated Romano cheese, $7.40 [it cost less than the wedge to grate].
  • Victoria marinara sauce, $4 off, $2.99.
  • Lemon, $1.
  • Pint Organic Valley Half & Half, $3.49.
  • Garlic, 65 cents.
  • Tax, $1.64.
TOTAL: $65.41. You can see how going in for broccoli mushroomed into something bigger--but I am making two trays, one without cheese for Figgy. And my neighbor died months ago. I'm late with card, and Kings has great gifts.



No comments:

Post a Comment