Very hard. Even though we were only together yesterday from 4 p.m. on and then again this morning before school.
My therapist says Punch is in tremendous pain and I am the safest person to take it out on because she knows I'm not going anywhere--but that I should try not to take the bait when she pushes buttons.
Today I had an appointment for 12:30 for a blowout by Rachel at Gumdrop Hairdressing on Church Street. I had been looking forward to my smoothing, softening treat.
4 factors converged to prevent it:
- Needed to get cash at Chase Bank. No parking spots nearby. Had to walk a bit.
- Bank system down. Minutes ticked on.
- No metered parking spots open near salon. Found one in front of Salvation Army and parallel parked about 2 feet from curb. Quickly fed nickels, dimes and quarters into meter.
- Ten steps from salon, hurrying in my black Tory Burch wedge heels, heard my phone ring. The appointment booker said Rachel couldn't take me. It was 12:45 and she had a client at 1:15. Could I come back at 4? I just found a parking spot, I pleaded. Can she do it quickly? But Rachel is a pro and perfectionist, so that wouldn't work. Instead, a young woman named Fallon, with pretty, long, gently twirled silver-blue hair, shampooed my hair and styled it. I was grateful for every knead of my scalp, the gentle rush of water, the lovely, fresh scent of the lather. The round brush, the dryer, the hairspray.
- Caught up with Punchy's Mimi. She was a helpful and supportive sounding board with a firm boundary idea for Punch. I also asked her if she can go back to taking P one weekend a month. Things got off course w Mimi's and our travel plans, P's soccer and activities, etc. But as I told Mimi today, I need her support. Dan and I both do.
- Made important phone call, left message.
- Walked my fur ball.
- The blowout!
- Green salad and iced coffee from Cafe Giotto.
- Lit candle on mantel.
- With Dan traveling and P at Mimi's til Sunday, Figgy and I got to talk. I missed her!
- About to wash face, get in bed and read book group book.
- Parking near bank, 50 cents.
- Parking near salon, about $1.50.
- Blowout plus tip, $48.
- Cafe Giotto, green salad with apple and walnuts, iced coffee, bag of freshly baked mini chocolate biscotti [$10] to bring next-door to Rachel as a thank you [she lost the appt. and the tip], plus $3 in cafe tips, $26.45.
RUNNING TOTAL FOR MONTH AS OF MAY 17: $1,359.10.
MAY AVERAGE DAILY SPEND: $79.94.